Redco Radiation Shielding
Redco™ Radiation Shielding was specially designed for nuclear shielding applications and is used in a variety of applications including high intensity X-rays, cancer treatment facilities, nuclear submarines, and nuclear power plants.
Densetec® Shield employs 5% Boron by weight to shield neutrons, and Borotron UH015/030/050 and Borotron HM015/030/050 are boron loaded PE-(U)HMW grades. The high hydrogen content of PE-(U)HMW makes it very suitable for slowing down fast neutrons to lower energy thermal (slow) neutrons, which are then absorbed by the added boron compound. Whereas both PE-HMW and PE-UHMW are suitable for neutron shielding, PE-UHMW is often preferred because of its better deformation behaviour at high temperatures and its superior impact strength and wear resistance.
- Effectively attenuates neutron radiation particles and minimizes the gamma radiation released during their capture
- Very good wear and abrasion resistance
- High impact strength (particularly PE-UHMW)
- Excellent chemical resistance
- Low coefficient of friction
- Very low water absorption
- Moderate mechanical strength, stiffness and creep resistance
- Excellent machinability
Materials available: Borotron UH015/030/050, Borotron HM015/030/050, and Densetec® Shield (HDPE)